I have created a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for our SoCal ACA Mailing List. I hope it makes things easier when you have questions or issues with our mailing list.
Q: SoCal ACA uses Mailman. What is MailMan?
A: Mailman is what SoCal ACA uses for our mailing list. Mailman is free software for managing electronic mail discussion and e-newsletter lists. Mailman is integrated with the web, making it easy for users to manage their accounts and for list owners to administer their lists.
Mailman has been around for many years and is still being used by major universities around the country. It is a very robust and reliable system.
Q: What is the SoCal ACA Mailing List and what is it for?
A: SoCal ACA currently has 1 Mailing List. It is:
- email@example.com: Anyone can sign up for this mailing list and anyone can post to this mailing list. Emails sent to this list will go to all SoCal ACA Members. It is used for announcements and upcoming events.
Q: How do I join firstname.lastname@example.org?
A: Because anyone can join this mailing list, Mailman has been configured so you can do this yourself.
First, send an email to email@example.com. Don't put anything in the subject or the body of the email you are sending out.
Second, within minutes you will get an auto-generated email back from Mailman with a registration code. All you have to do is just reply to this email. You don't have to do anything else. Mailman sends you this email to prove you are not a spammer.
Third, within minutes, you will get an email back from Mailman telling you that you have successfully joined the mailing list. If you didn't receive the confirmation email check your spam/junk folder. If the welcome email is not in there reach out to the webmaster for assistance. Contact information is at the bottom of the page.
Q: How do I unsubscribe from a SoCal ACA Mailing List?
A: This process can also be done by Mailman automatically.
- Send an email to the mailing list you are a member of:
For Announcements it will be:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Within minutes you will receive an email from Mailman, with an unsubscribe code asking to confirm that you want to leave the mailing list.
- All you have to do is just reply to this email.
- Within minutes, you will then get a confirmation email from Mailman that you have successfully been unsubscribed from the mailing list. If you didn't get the email check your junk/spam/deleted items folder.